Jump to navigation Jump to search
Revision as of 15:34, 14 October 2012 by Rim Halaby (Created page with "Rim Halaby is a fourth year medical student at the Lebanese American University L. A.U. in Beirut, Lebanon. ==Education== *Lebanese American University LAU (2009- 2013) **LAU...")
Rim Halaby is a fourth year medical student at the Lebanese American University L. A.U. in Beirut, Lebanon.
- Lebanese American University LAU (2009- 2013)
- LAU School of medicine- UMCRH medical center
- University of Balamand (2006- 2009)
- Faculty of Sciences- Major: B.S. in Biology.
- Graduation with distinction.
- College des Soeurs des Saints- Coeurs 1992- 2006
- Rim is currently doing her med 4 rotations at UMC-RH lebanon, Beirut
- Elective clinical rotation in the departement of Infectious Disease at Hopkins Bayview Hospital ( September 2013)
- Student research exchange program with University of Iowa (July and August, 2009)
- This is an exchange program with the University of Iowa. Rim worked at Dr. Jeff Murray laboratory for two months in a research concerning patent ductus arteriosis
- Shadowing Dr. Jeff Murray in the pediatrics department, University of Iowa hospital (July 2009)
- GNK foundation- active member (2009 till present)
- This is a non- profit non governmental organization that organizes awareness campaign regarding health related issues, organizes activities for children with cancer and plans fund raising events. In addition GNK promotes health safety and adolescent education
- Rim is member of the following:
- GNK research team
- GNK media team
- GNK “White Clinic” team: The “White Clinic” is a mobile fully equipped clinic that travels throughout the different regions of Lebanon and throughout universities to offer free blood pressure and blood glucose level management, BMI measurement along with nutrition counseling in addition to blood sampling for screening for hemoglobin disorders.
- NOOTDT- active member (2009 till present)
- NOOTDT: national organization for organ and tissue donation and transplantation
- Medical student association MSA- active member (2011 till present)
- Health awareness campaigns at BLOM bank, Beirut
- Public health awareness
- Lemsic- active member (2011 till present)
- Science meets art SMA- University of Balamand (Treasurer of the club in 2009)
- Student research exchange program with University of Iowa.
- This was a two months research-training program at Dr. Jeff Murray lab regarding sequencing genes involved in patent ductus arteriosis. It was a great experience at the academic, personal and cultural levels.
- National newborn screening for inherited hemoglobinopathies.
- Rim was the national coordinator of the campaign “Save a life with a drop of blood” in 2011 and 2012. The aim of this screening is the early detection and early treatment of patients with hemoglobin diseases mainly sickle cell disease. In addition the prevalence of the inherited hemoglobinopathies in Lebanon will be calculated and genetic studies are being conducted on the babies with abnormal hemoglobin tests.
- The abstract was published in the Abstract book of the 17th Congress of EHA.
- Renal function decline in recipients and donors of kidney grafts: role of aortic stiffness. Corresponding author: Dr. Michel Safar. (It will be published in the American Journal of Kidney Diseases)
- Rank 1 in high school.
- Rank 1 in the official baccalaureate exam in North Lebanon
- Merit scholarship at the University of Balamand from 2006 till 2009
- Honor list student for all semesters in University of Balamand- Graduation with distinction- B.S. in biology
- Merit scholarship at the Lebanese American University School of Medicine
- Honor list student in med 1, med 2 and med 3
- Winner of the second prize in a national drawing contest in 2005
- Arabic: Fluent in speaking and writing.
- English: Fluent in speaking and writing.
- French: Fluent in speaking and writing