Transposition of the great vessels historical perspective
Transposition of the great vessels Microchapters
Transposition of the great vessels historical perspective On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Transposition of the great vessels historical perspective
The TGA was first described in 1797 by Matthew Baillie as a "singular malformation". The word transposition was coined by Farre in 1814.
- The TGA was first described in 1797 by Matthew Baillie as a "singular malformation".
- In 1814 Farre described it as transposition.
- No treatment was available until the middle of the 20th century.
- In the 1950s, surgical atrial septectomy was developed followed by balloon atrial septostomy in the 1960s. These surgical therapies were not curative, but were palliative. They were later followed by physiological procedures.
- Today, the survival rate for infants with TGA is greater than 90%.
|Major Historical Events in TGA|
|1797||Baillie||First morphological description of TGA|
|1814||Farre||First used the term TGA|
|1948||Hanlon and Blalock||Artirial septectomy|
|1953||Lilehei and Varco||Partial venous switch|
|1955||Thomas Baffes||Baffes operation|
|1957||Ake Senning||Atrial switch using atrial flaps|
|1963||Wiliam Mustard||Atrial switch using pericardium|
|1966||Rashkind and Miler||Introduced balloon atrial septostomy|
|1975||Jatene||Successful arterial switch|
|1976||Magdi Yocoub||Left ventricular training and arterial switch|
|1984||Castenada||Neonatal arterial switch|
|1989||Jonas||Rapid two stage arterial swtich|
- Van Praagh R, Perez-Trevino C, Lõpez-Cuellar M, Baker FW, Zuberbuhler JR, Quero M, Perez VM, Moreno F, Van Praagh S (December 1971). "Transposition of the great arteries with posterior aorta, anterior pulmonary artery, subpulmonary conus and fibrous continuity between aortic and atrioventricular valves". Am. J. Cardiol. 28 (6): 621–31. doi:10.1016/0002-9149(71)90049-x. PMID 5124722.
- Hanlon CR, Blalock A (March 1948). "Complete Transposition of the Aorta and the Pulmonary Artery: Experimental Observations on Venous Shunts as Corrective Procedures". Ann. Surg. 127 (3): 385–97. doi:10.1097/00000658-194803000-00001. PMC 1513835. PMID 17859086.
- BLALOCK A, HANLON CR (January 1950). "The surgical treatment of complete transposition of the aorta and the pulmonary artery". Surg Gynecol Obstet. 90 (1): 1–15, illust. PMID 15396549.
- Weldon CS (April 1987). "The Blalock-Hanlon operation". Ann. Thorac. Surg. 43 (4): 448–9. doi:10.1016/s0003-4975(10)62834-2. PMID 3551863.