Dilated cardiomyopathy causes
Dilated cardiomyopathy Microchapters
Dilated cardiomyopathy causes On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Dilated cardiomyopathy causes
There are many causes of dilated cardiomyopathy. The most common cause is idiopathic in 50% of cases. The next most common cause is myocarditis which is responsible for 10% of cases. The high percentage of idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy may be related to the difficulty in diagnosing viral myocarditis. Other common causes include substance abuse, connective tissue disease, pregnancy, medications, nutritional deficiencies, infiltrative diseases and toxins. There are varying degrees of severity of the disease. Some forms are reversible and some are irreversible; some patients may be completely asymptomatic and some may require cardiac transplantation.
Life Threatening Causes
Life-threatening causes include conditions which may result in death or permanent disability within 24 hours if left untreated.
- Antiretroviral drugs
- Chemotherapeutic agents (such as Doxorubicin)
- Connective tissue disease
- Eosinophilic cardiomyopathy
- HIV infection
- Hypertensive heart disease
- Ischemic cardiomyopathy
- Nutritional deficiencies (such as thiamine or selenium)
- Peripartum cardiomyopathy
- Sleep apnea
- Substance abuse (alcohol abuse or cocaine abuse)
- Toxins (such as cobalt, lead or beryllium)
Causes by Organ System
Causes in Alphabetical Order
- Felker GM, Thompson RE, et al. Underlying causes and long-term survival in patients with initially unexplained cardiomyopathy. N Engl J Med 2000 Apr 13;342(14):1077-84.
- Japp AG, Gulati A, Cook SA, Cowie MR, Prasad SK (2016) The Diagnosis and Evaluation of Dilated Cardiomyopathy. J Am Coll Cardiol 67 (25):2996-3010. DOI:10.1016/j.jacc.2016.03.590 PMID: 27339497
- Baris L, Cornette J, Johnson MR, Sliwa K, Roos-Hesselink JW (2019). "Peripartum cardiomyopathy: disease or syndrome?". Heart. 105 (5): 357–362. doi:10.1136/heartjnl-2018-314252. PMC 6613742 Check
|pmc=value (help). PMID 31693481.
- Weintraub RG, Semsarian C, Macdonald P (2017). "Dilated cardiomyopathy". Lancet. 390 (10092): 400–414. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(16)31713-5. PMID 28190577.
- Favalli V, Serio A, Grasso M, Arbustini E (2016). "Genetic causes of dilated cardiomyopathy". Heart. 102 (24): 2004–2014. doi:10.1136/heartjnl-2015-308190. PMID 27634407.