Mesenteric ischemia historical perspective
Mesenteric ischemia Microchapters
Mesenteric ischemia historical perspective On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Mesenteric ischemia historical perspective
In 1936, Dunphy was the first one to establish an association between mesenteric artery occlusion and bowel infarction.
- In 1936, Dunphy was the first one to establish an association between mesenteric artery occlusion and bowel infarction.
- In 1843, Tiedemann described mesenteric occlusion and bowel infarction, followed by Virchow who added two more patients to the literature.
- In 1887, Welch proposed that ischemic bowel changes occur secondary to 80% stenosis of superior mesenteric artery (SMA).
- In 1904, Jackson, Parker, and Quinby stated that both arterial and venous occlusion of the mesenteric circulation can lead to mesenteric ischemia.
- In 1913, Trotter studied 359 cases of infarcted bowel. He explained a relationship between cardiac diseases and embolus to the SMA. He also elaborated a connection between arteriosclerosis of the aorta and thrombosis of mesenteric vessles.
- In 1921, Klein wrote a thesis on embolism and thrombosis, in which he pointed out a relationship between SMA stenosis and episodic abdominal pain.
- In 1971, The first book written on all aspects of mesenteric ischemia named 'Vascular Disorders of the Intestines was published and edited by Boley, Schwartz, and Williams.
Landmark Events in the Development of Treatment Strategies
- Until 1967, mesenteric ischemia was a diagnostic dilemma.
- Aarhus and Brabrand were the first ones to propose angiography as a diagnostic tool for SMA occlusion.
- Britt, Cheek, and Wittenberg included angiography as their management plan in 1967.
- In 1980, endovascular treatment of mesenteric disease was introduced.
- Cariello L, D'Aniello A, Makar AB, McMartin KE, Palese M, Tephly TR (1975). "Isolation and characterization of four toxic protein fractions from the sea anemone Anemonia sulcata". Toxicon. 13 (5): 353–7. PMID 1875.
- Bergan, John J. (1967). "Recognition and Treatment of Intestinal Ischemia". Surgical Clinics of North America. 47 (1): 109–126. doi:10.1016/S0039-6109(16)38137-3. ISSN 0039-6109.
- Boley SJ, Brandt LJ, Sammartano RJ (1997). "History of mesenteric ischemia. The evolution of a diagnosis and management". Surg Clin North Am. 77 (2): 275–88. PMID 9146712.
- Harper DR, Buist TA (1978). "Selective angiography in acute mid-gut ischaemia". Gut. 19 (2): 132–6. PMC 1411821. PMID 631629.
- Yamada, Kei; Saeki, Mitsuaki; Yamaguchi, Toshio; Taira, Makiko; Ohyama, Yukio; Ashida, Hiroshi; Sakuyama, Keiko; Ishikawa, Toru (1998). "Acute mesenteric ischemia". Clinical Imaging. 22 (1): 34–41. doi:10.1016/S0899-7071(97)00071-5. ISSN 0899-7071.
- Corder AP, Taylor I (1993). "Acute mesenteric ischaemia". Postgrad Med J. 69 (807): 1–3. PMC 2399586. PMID 8446545.
- Hmoud B, Singal AK, Kamath PS (2014). "Mesenteric venous thrombosis". J Clin Exp Hepatol. 4 (3): 257–63. doi:10.1016/j.jceh.2014.03.052. PMC 4284291. PMID 25755568.