Mesenteric ischemia historical perspective
Mesenteric ischemia Microchapters
Mesenteric ischemia historical perspective On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Mesenteric ischemia historical perspective
- In 1936, Dunphy was the first one to establish an association between mesenteric artery occlusion and gut infarction.
- In 1843, Tiedemann described mesenteric occlusion and bowel infarction, followed by Virchow who added two more patients to the literature.
- In 1887, Welch proposed that ischemic bowel changes occur secondary to 80% stenosis of superior mesenteric artery (SMA).
- In 1904, Jackson, Parker, and Quinby stated that both arterial and venous occlusion of the mesenteric circulation can lead to mesenteric ischemia.
- In 1913, Trotter studied 359 cases of infarcted bowel. He explained a relationship between cardiac diseases and embolus to the SMA. He also elaborated a connection between arteriosclerosis of the aorta and thrombosis of mesenteric vessles.
- In 1921, Klein wrote a thesis on embolism and thrombosis, in which he pointed out a relationship between SMA stenosis and episodic abdominal pain.
- The first book written on all aspects of mesenteric ischemia named 'Vascular Disorders of the Intestines' got published in 1971 was edited by Boley, Schwartz, and Williams.
- There have been several outbreaks of [disease name], which are summarized below:
Landmark Events in the Development of Treatment Strategies
- Until 1967, mesenteric ischemia was a diagnostic dilemma.
- Aarhus and Brabrand were the first ones to propose angiography as a diagnostic tool for SMA occlusion.
- Britt, Cheek, and Wittenberg included angiography as their management plan in 1967.
- In 1980, endovascular treatment of mesenteric disease was introduced.
Impact on Cultural History
- The following are a few famous cases of disease name:
- Cariello L, D'Aniello A, Makar AB, McMartin KE, Palese M, Tephly TR (1975). "Isolation and characterization of four toxic protein fractions from the sea anemone Anemonia sulcata". Toxicon. 13 (5): 353–7. PMID 1875.
- Bergan, John J. (1967). "Recognition and Treatment of Intestinal Ischemia". Surgical Clinics of North America. 47 (1): 109–126. ISSN 0039-6109. doi:10.1016/S0039-6109(16)38137-3.
- Boley SJ, Brandt LJ, Sammartano RJ (1997). "History of mesenteric ischemia. The evolution of a diagnosis and management.". Surg Clin North Am. 77 (2): 275–88. PMID 9146712.
- Harper DR, Buist TA (1978). "Selective angiography in acute mid-gut ischaemia.". Gut. 19 (2): 132–6. PMC . PMID 631629.
- Yamada, Kei; Saeki, Mitsuaki; Yamaguchi, Toshio; Taira, Makiko; Ohyama, Yukio; Ashida, Hiroshi; Sakuyama, Keiko; Ishikawa, Toru (1998). "Acute mesenteric ischemia". Clinical Imaging. 22 (1): 34–41. ISSN 0899-7071. doi:10.1016/S0899-7071(97)00071-5.