- (-)-menthol + NADPH + H+ + O2 p-menthane-3,8-diol + NADP+ + H2O
This enzyme belongs to the family of oxidoreductases, specifically those acting on paired donors, with O2 as oxidant and incorporation or reduction of oxygen. The oxygen incorporated need not be derived from O2 with NADH or NADPH as one donor, and incorporation of one atom o oxygen into the other donor. The systematic name of this enzyme class is (-)-menthol,NADPH:oxygen oxidoreductase (8-hydroxylating). This enzyme is also called l-menthol monooxygenase.
- IUBMB entry for 18.104.22.168
- BRENDA references for 22.214.171.124 (Recommended.)
- PubMed references for 126.96.36.199
- PubMed Central references for 188.8.131.52
- Google Scholar references for 184.108.40.206
- Madyastha KM, Srivatsan V (1988). "Studies on the metabolism of l-menthol in rats". Drug. Metab. Dispos. 16: 765–72. PMID 2906604.
- The CAS registry number for this enzyme class is 117590-75-7.