Domenech et al. 1997, ATCC 700351
Gram-positive, nonmotile and strongly acid-fast rods.
- Smooth, mucoid and nonphotochromogenic colonies.
- Rapid growth on Löwenstein-Jensen medium at 22°C, 30°C, 37°C and 45°C within 2-4 days.
- Optimum growth at 30°C and 37°C.
- Resistant to isoniazid, cycloserine, capreomycin, pyrazinamide, and thiosemicarbazone
- Most strains are also resistant to ethambutol.
- Characterised by unique hsp65 gene, 16S rDNA and sodA sequences. *Closely related to M. fortuitum and M. peregrinum at the DNA homology level.
- Differentiation from M. fortuitum by its growth at 45°C and by its use of mannitol as a sole carbon source.
- First isolated from human sputum in Madrid
Strain 938 = ATCC 700351 = CCUG 37984 = CIP 104973 = DSM 44476 = JCM 12375.
- Domenech et al. 1997. Mycobacterium mageritense sp. nov. Int. J. Syst. Bacteriol., 47, 535-540.