Mucoepidermoid carcinoma surgery
Mucoepidermoid carcinoma Microchapters
Mucoepidermoid carcinoma surgery On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Mucoepidermoid carcinoma surgery
Surgery is the mainstay of therapy for mucoepidermoid carcinoma.
- Mucoepidermoid carcinoma (low-grade): complete surgical excision with sparing of the facial nerve.
- Mucoepidermoid carcinoma (high-grade): parotidectomy with facial nerve sparing may be followed by radiotherapy.
- Clinically aggressive mucoepidermoid carcinoma tumors with facial nerve involvement will require radical surgery with sacrifice of the facial nerve and radiotherapy. 
- Primary nerve grafting using the sural nerve if possible is performed.
- Lymph node dissection is usually only performed for detected nodal metastasis.
- Low grade mucoepidermoid carcinoma in the floor of the mouth can be surgically excised along with involved lymph node.
- When the tumor is at an inaccessible location, clinical trial therapies (especially for stage IV disease) including:
- Therapeutic drugs
- Stem cell transplantation
- Monoclonal antibodies
- Either singly or in combination of various therapies
- Follow-up care with regular screening and check-ups are important
- Indications for surgery for mucoepidermoid carcinoma, include:
- Biological and histological features suitable for surgery
- Mucoepidermoid Carcinoma Surgery. WikiBooks. https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Radiation_Oncology/Head_%26_Neck/Salivary_gland Accessed on February 17,2016
- Gedar Totuk OM, Demir MK, Yapicier O, Mestanoglu M (2017). "Low-Grade Mucoepidermoid Carcinoma of the Lacrimal Gland in a Teenaged Patient". Case Rep Ophthalmol Med. 2017: 2418505. doi:10.1155/2017/2418505. PMC 5727657. PMID 29318070.
- Rinaldo A, Shaha AR, Pellitteri PK, Bradley PJ, Ferlito A (January 2004). "Management of malignant sublingual salivary gland tumors". Oral Oncol. 40 (1): 2–5. PMID 14662408.
- Helmus C (August 1997). "Subtotal parotidectomy: a 10-year review (1985 to 1994)". Laryngoscope. 107 (8): 1024–7. PMID 9261001.
- Maloth AK, Nandan SR, Kulkarni PG, Dorankula SP, Muddana K (December 2015). "Mucoepidermoid Carcinoma of Floor of the Mouth - A Rarity". J Clin Diagn Res. 9 (12): ZD03–4. doi:10.7860/JCDR/2015/15595.6912. PMC 4717804. PMID 26813873.
- Rapidis, Alexander D.; Givalos, Nikolaos; Gakiopoulou, Hariklia; Stavrianos, Spyros D.; Faratzis, Gregory; Lagogiannis, George A.; Katsilieris, Ioannis; Patsouris, Efstratios (2007). "Mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the salivary glands". Oral Oncology. 43 (2): 130–136. doi:10.1016/j.oraloncology.2006.03.001. ISSN 1368-8375.