Medical College of Wisconsin
In 1997, the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association (NCA) of Colleges and Schools granted reaccreditation to the Medical College for the longest term possible (10 years). The NCA is the accrediting body for all institutions of higher education in the College's geographic region.
In 2003, the Medical College was reaccredited for the maximum of eight years, to 2011, by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education.
More than 1100 faculty physicians with the Medical College of Wisconsin provide adult and pediatric care to more than 260,000 patients, representing more than one million patient-visits annually.
There are 1359 students enrolled in education programs at the Medical College. This consists of 805 medical students and 554 graduate students, including physicians in the Master of Public Health Degree program.
In addition, Medical College faculty supervise 700 physicians in graduate medical education (residency training) programs through the Medical College of Wisconsin Affiliated Hospitals.
The Medical College also provides continuing medical education to more than 12,000 health professional registrants each year.
Its core competency is medical knowledge, which underpins every aspect of its mission. The Medical College offers the osteopathic MD, PhD, MS, MPH and MA degrees.
As a major national research center, Medical College of Wisconsin faculty received $123 million in external support for research and training in fiscal year 2003-2004
In 2004, the National Institutes of Health ranked the Medical College 42nd among the nation's medical schools for NIH research funding amounting to $94.3 million, placing the College in the top 33% of the nation's 125 medical schools.
The faculty conducts more than 1,500 research studies annually in all areas of medicine. In fiscal year 2003-2004, more than 54 invention disclosures from College faculty and students were received and 26 U.S. patent applications were filed for commercialization products. The Medical College is home to nine federally designated national and international research centers.
The Medical College traces its roots to 1893 with the founding of the Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons. In 1913 the Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons and the Milwaukee Medical College merged to become the Marquette University School of Medicine.
In 1967 Marquette University, due to financial constraints, terminated its sponsorship of the medical school. The school then continued as a private, national, freestanding institution. Its name was changed in 1970 to the Medical College of Wisconsin. The Medical College has approximately 12,500 alumni.
- Colonel Todd David Hess, MC; USAF Military Doctor & Commander - Opthalmic Surgeon (Class of 1985)
- Captain Ryan Leavitt, MC; USNF Military Doctor and Captain - Cardiothoracic Surgeon (Class of 1997)