List of Schedule 2 substances (CWC)
Schedule 2 substances, in the sense of the Chemical Weapons Convention, are chemicals which can either be used as chemical weapons themselves or used in the manufacture of chemical weapons but which have small scale applications outside of chemical warfare and so can be legitimately manufactured in small quantities. An example is thiodiglycol which can be used in the manufacture of mustard agents, but is also used as a solvent in inks.
Manufacture must be declared as their production is subject to declaration to the OPCW as per Part VII of the "Verification Annex", and they may not be exported to countries which are not party to the Convention
As with the other schedules, they are sub-divided into Part A substances, which are chemicals that can be used directly as weapons, and Part B which are precursors useful in the manufacture of chemical weapons.
Chemicals which can be used as weapons, or used in their manufacture, but which have no, or almost no, legitimate applications as well are listed in Schedule 1, whilst Schedule 3 is used for chemicals which also have widespread industrial uses.
Guidelines for Schedule 2
The following criteria shall be taken into account in considering whether a toxic chemical not listed in Schedule 1 or a precursor to a Schedule 1 chemical or to a chemical listed in Schedule 2, part A, should be included in Schedule 2:
- It poses a significant risk to the object and purpose of this Convention because it possesses such lethal or incapacitating toxicity as well as other properties that could enable it to be used as a chemical weapon;
- It may be used as a precursor in one of the chemical reactions at the final stage of formation of a chemical listed in Schedule 1 or Schedule 2, part A;
- It poses a significant risk to the object and purpose of this Convention by virtue of its importance in the production of a chemical listed in Schedule 1 or Schedule 2, part A;
- It is not produced in large commercial quantities for purposes not prohibited under this Convention.
- Amiton: O,O-Diethyl S-(2-(diethylamino)ethyl)phosphorothiolate and corresponding alkylated or protonated salts
- PFIB: 1,1,3,3,3-Pentafluoro-2-(trifluoromethyl)-1-propene
- Chemicals, except for those listed in Schedule 1, containing a phosphorus atom to which is bonded one methyl, ethyl or propyl (normal or iso) group but not further carbon atoms, e.g.
- N,N-Dialkyl (Me, Et, n-Pr or i-Pr) phosphoramidic dihalides
- Dialkyl (Me, Et, n-Pr or i-Pr) N,N-dialkyl (Me, Et, n-Pr or i-Pr)-phosphoramidates
- N,N-Dialkyl (Me, Et, n-Pr or i-Pr) aminoethyl-2-chlorides and corresponding protonated salts
- N,N-Dialkyl (Me, Et, n-Pr or i-Pr) aminoethane-2-ols and corresponding protonated salts
- N,N-Dialkyl (Me, Et, n-Pr or i-Pr) aminoethane-2-thiols and corresponding protonated salts
- Thiodiglycol: Bis(2-hydroxyethyl)sulfide
- Pinacolyl alcohol: 3,3-Dimethylbutan-2-ol