Ischemic colitis other diagnostic studies
Ischemic colitis Microchapters
Ischemic colitis other diagnostic studies On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Ischemic colitis other diagnostic studies
Among patients with a suspicion of ischemic colitis, endoscopic evaluation, via colonoscopy or flexible sigmoidoscopy, is the diagnostic procedure of choice if the diagnosis remains unclear after other imaging studies. Colonoscopy is sensitive and allows visualization of colonic mucosa and histological analysis of biopsies. Colonoscopy requires to be performed within 48 hours for diagnosis of ischemic colitis.
- Ischemic colitis has a distinctive endoscopic appearance; endoscopy can also facilitate alternate diagnoses such as infection or inflammatory bowel disease.
- Biopsies can be taken via endoscopy to provide more information.
- Early endoscopy can confirm the diagnosis and provides prognostic information.
- Distinguishes between cases that need conservative management versus those that require emergency resection.
- Transient non-gangrenous features of ischemic colitis observed at colonoscopy include:
- Colonoscopy findings for ischemic colitis are as follows:
- Colonoscopy is sensitive and allows visualization of colonic mucosa and histological analysis of biopsies.
- Diagnosis requires colonoscopy within 48 hours.
- Serial studies in connection with the clinical setting are necessary to establish the diagnosis.
- Performed with limited insufflation to avoid over distension of the colon.
- Could lead to further ischemia or perforation.
- CO2 insufflation rather than air should be used.
- CO2 is rapidly absorbed and acts as a vasodilator.
- MacDonald, P.H. (2002). "Ischaemic colitis". Best Practice & Research Clinical Gastroenterology. 16 (1): 51–61. doi:10.1053/bega.2001.0265. ISSN 1521-6918.
- Theodoropoulou, Αngeliki; Κoutroubakis, Ioannis E (2008). "Ischemic colitis: Clinical practice in diagnosis and treatment". World Journal of Gastroenterology. 14 (48): 7302. doi:10.3748/wjg.14.7302. ISSN 1007-9327.
- Washington, Christopher; Carmichael, Joseph (2012). "Management of Ischemic Colitis". Clinics in Colon and Rectal Surgery. 25 (04): 228–235. doi:10.1055/s-0032-1329534. ISSN 1531-0043.