Feline sarcoma oncogene
Tyrosine-protein kinase Fes/Fps also known as proto-oncogene c-Fes/Fps is an enzyme that in humans is encoded by the FES gene. FES was originally cloned as a retroviral oncogene from feline (v-FES) and avian (v-FPS) sarcomas. This triggered the subsequent identification and cloning of the cellular FES (c-FES) genes (also referred to as FPS) in birds and mammals.
This gene encodes the human cellular counterpart of a feline sarcoma retrovirus protein with transforming capabilities. The gene product has tyrosine-specific protein kinase activity and that activity is required for maintenance of cellular transformation. Its chromosomal location has linked it to a specific translocation event identified in patients with acute promyelocytic leukemia but it is also involved in normal hematopoiesis. A truncated transcript has been identified that is generated utilizing a start site in one of the far downstream exons but a protein product associated with this transcript has not been identified.
- Bowden DW, Akots G, Rothschild CB (Aug 1991). "An insertion deletion polymorphism associated with C-FES". Nucleic Acids Research. 19 (15): 4311. doi:10.1093/nar/19.15.4311. PMC 328602. PMID 1870997.
- "Entrez Gene: FES feline sarcoma oncogene".
- Craig AW (2012). "FES/FER kinase signaling in hematopoietic cells and leukemias". Frontiers in Bioscience. 17: 861–75. doi:10.2741/3961. PMID 22201778.
- Jücker M, McKenna K, da Silva AJ, Rudd CE, Feldman RA (Jan 1997). "The Fes protein-tyrosine kinase phosphorylates a subset of macrophage proteins that are involved in cell adhesion and cell-cell signaling". The Journal of Biological Chemistry. 272 (4): 2104–9. doi:10.1074/jbc.272.4.2104. PMID 8999909.
- Lionberger JM, Smithgall TE (Feb 2000). "The c-Fes protein-tyrosine kinase suppresses cytokine-independent outgrowth of myeloid leukemia cells induced by Bcr-Abl". Cancer Research. 60 (4): 1097–103. PMID 10706130.
- Maru Y, Peters KL, Afar DE, Shibuya M, Witte ON, Smithgall TE (Feb 1995). "Tyrosine phosphorylation of BCR by FPS/FES protein-tyrosine kinases induces association of BCR with GRB-2/SOS". Molecular and Cellular Biology. 15 (2): 835–42. PMC 231961. PMID 7529874.
- Smithgall TE, Rogers JA, Peters KL, Li J, Briggs SD, Lionberger JM, Cheng H, Shibata A, Scholtz B, Schreiner S, Dunham N (1998). "The c-Fes family of protein-tyrosine kinases". Critical Reviews in Oncogenesis. 9 (1): 43–62. doi:10.1615/critrevoncog.v9.i1.40. PMID 9754447.
- Jiang H, Harris MB, Rothman P (Jun 2000). "IL-4/IL-13 signaling beyond JAK/STAT". The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 105 (6 Pt 1): 1063–70. doi:10.1067/mai.2000.107604. PMID 10856136.
- Greer P (Apr 2002). "Closing in on the biological functions of Fps/Fes and Fer". Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology. 3 (4): 278–89. doi:10.1038/nrm783. PMID 11994747.
|This article on a gene on human chromosome 15 is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|