Diego antigen system

Jump to: navigation, search

WikiDoc Resources for Diego antigen system

Articles

Most recent articles on Diego antigen system

Most cited articles on Diego antigen system

Review articles on Diego antigen system

Articles on Diego antigen system in N Eng J Med, Lancet, BMJ

Media

Powerpoint slides on Diego antigen system

Images of Diego antigen system

Photos of Diego antigen system

Podcasts & MP3s on Diego antigen system

Videos on Diego antigen system

Evidence Based Medicine

Cochrane Collaboration on Diego antigen system

Bandolier on Diego antigen system

TRIP on Diego antigen system

Clinical Trials

Ongoing Trials on Diego antigen system at Clinical Trials.gov

Trial results on Diego antigen system

Clinical Trials on Diego antigen system at Google

Guidelines / Policies / Govt

US National Guidelines Clearinghouse on Diego antigen system

NICE Guidance on Diego antigen system

NHS PRODIGY Guidance

FDA on Diego antigen system

CDC on Diego antigen system

Books

Books on Diego antigen system

News

Diego antigen system in the news

Be alerted to news on Diego antigen system

News trends on Diego antigen system

Commentary

Blogs on Diego antigen system

Definitions

Definitions of Diego antigen system

Patient Resources / Community

Patient resources on Diego antigen system

Discussion groups on Diego antigen system

Patient Handouts on Diego antigen system

Directions to Hospitals Treating Diego antigen system

Risk calculators and risk factors for Diego antigen system

Healthcare Provider Resources

Symptoms of Diego antigen system

Causes & Risk Factors for Diego antigen system

Diagnostic studies for Diego antigen system

Treatment of Diego antigen system

Continuing Medical Education (CME)

CME Programs on Diego antigen system

International

Diego antigen system en Espanol

Diego antigen system en Francais

Business

Diego antigen system in the Marketplace

Patents on Diego antigen system

Experimental / Informatics

List of terms related to Diego antigen system

Editor-In-Chief: C. Michael Gibson, M.S., M.D. [1]


The Diego blood group

History

The Diego system was discovered in 1955 in one Mrs. Diego when her child was found to suffer from HDN. The child was type Dia. A second type Dib was discovered in 1967 but the other types only began to be discovered in 1995. [1] , [2]

Definition

Blood is classified in the Diego system by the form of the band 3 protein, coded for by the gene SLC41A (Solute Carrier family 4, Anion exchanger, member 1). Each allele of the gene SLC41A is classified as a separate blood group. The band 3 protein functions in the transport of Cl- and carbonate.

The system

There are 21 known Diego blood types, the most common is Di(a-b+); found in over 99.9% of Caucasians and Blacks, and in about 90% of Asians. Most of the remaining 10% of Asians are (a+b+). The cultural distribution of the blood group lends it some importance to the science of anthropology. [3]

References

  1. Blood Groups and Red Cell Antigens"NCBI
  2. M.S. Mallen & T. Arias. "Inheritance of Diego blood group in Mexican Indians" Science. 1959 Jul 17;130(3368):164-5 PMID: 13668547
  3. M. Layrisse & J. Wilbert "Absence of the Diego antigen, a genetic characteristic of early immigrants to South America. Science. 1961 Oct 13;134:1077-8./ PMID: 14463057

Linked-in.jpg