Dextrocardia historical perspective
Dextrocardia historical perspective On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Dextrocardia historical perspective
The first description of dextrocardia was given by an Italian surgeon named Marco Aurelio Severino. Over the years, the definition of dextrocardio has differed among various authors.
- In 1643, Marco Aurelio Severino, an Italian surgeon, gave the first description of dextrocardia.
- In 1961, Hanson and Tabakin reported that 90% of dextrocardia's were not accompanied by other malformations/defects.
- The definition of dextrocardia has varied over the years among authors. Some of the definitions include:
- In 1988, Comstock defined dextrocardia as right cardiac axis.
- In 2004, Walmsley defined dextrocardia as right-sided position of the heart with most of the heart located in the right hemithorax. The direction of the apex was not a criteria.
- In 2005, Bernasconi defined dextrocardia as when the major axis of the heart points to the right. The author excluded fetuses with dextroposition.
- In 2007, Bohun defined it as right-sided embryologic development of the heart with majority of the heart mass positioned in the right hemithorax.
- In 2008, Falkensammer defined it as the positioning of the heart in the right chest with the apex pointing to the right.
- In 2011, Ozkutlu defined it as the location of the heart in the right hemothorax with the apex pointing to the right.
- In 2015, Oztunc defined it as right-sided positioning of the heart. The direction of the apex was not a criteria.
- Ogunlade O, Ayoka AO, Akomolafe RO, Akinsomisoye OS, Irinoye AI, Ajao A; et al. (2015). "The role of electrocardiogram in the diagnosis of dextrocardia with mirror image atrial arrangement and ventricular position in a young adult Nigerian in Ile-Ife: a case report". J Med Case Rep. 9: 222. doi:10.1186/s13256-015-0695-4. PMC 4584464. PMID 26411880.
- Anselmi, G; Munoz, S; Blanco, P; Machado, I; De la Cruz, M V (1972). "Systematization and clinical study of dextroversion, mirror-image dextrocardia, and laevoversion". Heart. 34 (11): 1085–1098. doi:10.1136/hrt.34.11.1085. ISSN 1355-6037.
- Yeo L, Luewan S, Markush D, Gill N, Romero R (2018). "Prenatal Diagnosis of Dextrocardia with Complex Congenital Heart Disease Using Fetal Intelligent Navigation Echocardiography (FINE) and a Literature Review". Fetal Diagn Ther. 43 (4): 304–316. doi:10.1159/000468929. PMC 6105280. PMID 28641300.