|US customary / Imperial units|
|Template:Scinote/Sordomeng ft||0.39370 in|
A centimetre (American spelling: centimeter, symbol cm) is a unit of length in the metric system, equal to one hundredth of a metre, which is the current SI base unit of length. Centi is the SI prefix for a factor of 10. Hence a centimetre can be written as 10×10 m (engineering notation) or 1 E-2 m (scientific E notation) — meaning 10 × 1 mm or 1 m / 100 respectively. The centimetre is the base unit of length in the now deprecated centimetre-gram-second system of units.
Though for many physical quantities, SI prefixes for factors of 103 - like milli and kilo - are often preferred by technicians, the centimetre remains a practical unit of length for many everyday measurements. A centimetre is approximately the width of the fingernail of an adult person.
Equivalence to other units of length
1 centimetre is equal to:
- 0.01 metres, which can be represented by 1.00 E-2 m (1 metre is equal to 100 centimeters)
- about 0.393700787401575 inches (1 inch is equal to 2.54 centimetres exactly) 
Uses of centimetre
In addition to its use in the measurement of length, the centimeter is used:
- sometimes, to report the level of rainfall as measured by a rain gauge 
- in the CGS system, the centimetre is used to measure capacitance, where 1 cm of capacitance = 1.113×10 Farad 
- in Canadian maps, centimetres are used to make conversions from map scale to real world scale (kilometers)
- centimetre (cm) - code 339D
- square centimetre (㎠) - code 33A0
- cubic centimetre (㎤) - code 33A4
They are useful only with East Asian fixed-width CJK fonts, because they are equal in size to one Chinese character.
- 1 E-2 m
- SI prefix
- Metric system
- Orders of magnitude (length)
- Conversion of units, for comparison with other units of length
-  CJK Compatibility excerpt from The Unicode Standard, Version 4.1.
ar:سنتيمتر ay:Mitru patakachjata zh-min-nan:Kong-hun br:Kantimetr ca:Centímetre et:Sentimeeter el:Εκατοστόμετρο eo:Centimetro eu:Zentimetro ko:센티미터 id:Sentimeter ia:Centimetro it:Centimetro ka:სანტიმეტრი la:Centimetrum hu:Centiméter mk:Сантиметар nl:Centimeter no:Centimeter nn:Centimeter sk:Centimeter sl:Centimeter ta:சதம மீட்டர் th:เซนติเมตร uk:Сантиметр ur:سنٹی میٹر zh-yue:厘米