Cardiac tamponade diagnostic study of choice
Cardiac tamponade Microchapters
Cardiac tamponade diagnostic study of choice On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Cardiac tamponade diagnostic study of choice
Cardiac tamponade is more of a clinical diagnosis, but still some diagnostic studies may be helpful.
Diagnostic Study of Choice
Study of choice
- Cardiac tamponade is more of a clinical diagnosis and is the decisions is made with clinical manifestation.
- The following tests may be helpful about the situation:
- Chest X-ray
- The diagnosis is made if an at risk patient( eg trauma) presents with the Beck's triad:
- Hypotension with a narrowed pulse pressure
- Jugular venous distention
- Muffled heart sound
2015 ESC Guidelines on the Diagnosis and Treatment of Cardiac tamponade (DO NOT EDIT)
Recommendations for the diagnosis and management of cardiac tamponade
|1. In a patient with clinical suspicion of cardiac tamponade echocardiography is recommended as the first imaging technique to evaluate the size, location and the degree of hemodynamic impact on the pericardial effusion(Level of Evidence: C)
- Ashley, Euan (2004). Cardiology explained. London Chicago: Remedica. ISBN 1-901346-22-6.
- Adler, Yehuda; Charron, Philippe; Imazio, Massimo; Badano, Luigi; Barón-Esquivias, Gonzalo; Bogaert, Jan; Brucato, Antonio; Gueret, Pascal; Klingel, Karin; Lionis, Christos; Maisch, Bernhard; Mayosi, Bongani; Pavie, Alain; Ristić, Arsen D.; Sabaté Tenas, Manel; Seferovic, Petar; Swedberg, Karl; Tomkowski, Witold (2015). "2015 ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of pericardial diseases". European Heart Journal. 36 (42): 2921–2964. doi:10.1093/eurheartj/ehv318. ISSN 0195-668X.