- ATP + an acid + CoA AMP + diphosphate + an acyl-CoA
This enzyme belongs to the family of ligases, specifically those forming carbon-sulfur bonds as acid-thiol ligases. The systematic name of this enzyme class is butanoate:CoA ligase (AMP-forming). Other names in common use include butyryl-CoA synthetase, fatty acid thiokinase (medium chain), acyl-activating enzyme, fatty acid elongase, fatty acid activating enzyme, fatty acyl coenzyme A synthetase, medium chain acyl-CoA synthetase, butyryl-coenzyme A synthetase, L-(+)-3-hydroxybutyryl CoA ligase, and short-chain acyl-CoA synthetase. This enzyme participates in butanoate metabolism.
- IUBMB entry for 18.104.22.168
- BRENDA references for 22.214.171.124 (Recommended.)
- PubMed references for 126.96.36.199
- PubMed Central references for 188.8.131.52
- Google Scholar references for 184.108.40.206
- MAHLER HR, WAKIL SJ, BOCK RM (1953). "Studies on fatty acid oxidation. I. Enzymatic activation of fatty acids". J. Biol. Chem. 204: 453&ndash, 68. PMID 13084616.
- Massaro EJ and Lennarz WJ (1965). "The partial purification and characterization of a bacterial fatty acyl coenzyme A synthetase". Biochemistry. 4: 85&ndash, 90.
- Websterlt JR, Gerowin LD and Rakita L (1965). "Purification and characteristics of a butyryl coenzyme A synthetase from bovine heart mitochondria". J. Biol. Chem. 240: 29&ndash, 33.
- The CAS registry number for this enzyme class is 9080-51-7.