Acute cholecystitis echocardiography and ultrasound
Acute cholecystitis Microchapters
Acute cholecystitis echocardiography and ultrasound On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Acute cholecystitis echocardiography and ultrasound
Transabdominal ultrasound is the initial test of choice for the diagnosis of acute cholecystitis. Findings on an ultrasound diagnostic of acute cholecystitis include thickened gallbladder, gallstones or sludge, and pericholecystic fluid.
- Transabdominal ultrasonography is the initial test of choice for the diagnosis of acute cholecystitis and gallstones.
- Acute calculous cholecystitis is diagnosed radiologically by the presence of
- Thickening of gallbladder (5mm or greater)
- Pericholecystic fluid
- Probe tenderness (ultrasonographic Murphy's sign)
The ultrsound based diagnostic criteria from multiple studies for acalculous cholecystits is as follows.
|Major||3.5 to 4 mm (or more) thick wall (if at least 5 cm distended longitudinally with no ascites or hypoalbuminemia)|
Pericholecystic fluid (halo)/subserosal edema
Sloughed mucosal membrane
|Minor||Echogenic bile (sludge)|
Hydrops = distension greater than 8-cm longitudinally or 5-cm transversely (with clear fluid)
Diagnosis: 2 major or 1 major and 2 minor (most studies have favored the diagnostic triad: wall thickness, sludge, hydrops).
Advantages of ultrasound
- Advantages of ultrasound include:
- Quick and readily available
- Relatively inexpensive
Limitations of ultrasound
- Limitations of ultrasound include:
- Poor visualization with intraluminal gas between probe and gallbladder
- "Gallbladder, Cholecystitis, Acute - StatPearls - NCBI Bookshelf".
- Foard DE, Haber AH (1970). "Physiologically normal senescence in seedlings grown without cell division after massive gamma-irradiation of seeds". Radiat. Res. 42 (2): 372–80. PMID 5442405.
- Knab LM, Boller AM, Mahvi DM (2014). "Cholecystitis". Surg. Clin. North Am. 94 (2): 455–70. doi:10.1016/j.suc.2014.01.005. PMID 24679431.
- Gomes CA, Junior CS, Di Saverio S, Sartelli M, Kelly MD, Gomes CC, Gomes FC, Corrêa LD, Alves CB, Guimarães SF (2017). "Acute calculous cholecystitis: Review of current best practices". World J Gastrointest Surg. 9 (5): 118–126. doi:10.4240/wjgs.v9.i5.118. PMC 5442405. PMID 28603584.
- "Imaging of Cholecystitis : American Journal of Roentgenology : Vol. 196, No. 4 (AJR)".
- Huffman, JL.; Schenker, S. (2010). "Acute acalculous cholecystitis: a review". Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 8 (1): 15–22. doi:10.1016/j.cgh.2009.08.034. PMID 19747982. Unknown parameter
- "Acute cholecystitis | Radiology Reference Article | Radiopaedia.org".