- (S)-1-pyrroline-5-carboxylate + NAD+ + 2 H2O L-glutamate + NADH + H+
This enzyme belongs to the family of oxidoreductases, specifically those acting on the CH-NH group of donors with NAD+ or NADP+ as acceptor. The systematic name of this enzyme class is (S)-1-pyrroline-5-carboxylate:NAD+ oxidoreductase. Other names in common use include Delta1-pyrroline-5-carboxylate dehydrogenase, 1-pyrroline dehydrogenase, pyrroline-5-carboxylate dehydrogenase, pyrroline-5-carboxylic acid dehydrogenase, L-pyrroline-5-carboxylate-NAD+ oxidoreductase, and 1-pyrroline-5-carboxylate:NAD+ oxidoreductase. This enzyme participates in glutamate metabolism and arginine and proline metabolism.
- IUBMB entry for 188.8.131.52
- BRENDA references for 184.108.40.206 (Recommended.)
- PubMed references for 220.127.116.11
- PubMed Central references for 18.104.22.168
- Google Scholar references for 22.214.171.124
- Adams E and Goldstone A (1960). "Hydroxyproline metabolism. IV. Enzymatic synthesis of gamma-hydroxyglutamate from Delta1-pyrroline-3-hydroxy-5-carboxylate". J. Biol. Chem. 235: 3504–3512.
- Strecker HJ (1960). "The interconversion of glutamic acid and proline. III Delta1-Pyrroline-5-carboxylic acid dehydrogenase". J. Biol. Chem. 235: 3218–3223.
- The CAS registry number for this enzyme class is 9054-82-4.