- (-)-(S)-limonene + NADPH + H+ + O2 (-)-trans-carveol + NADP+ + H2O
This enzyme belongs to the family of oxidoreductases, specifically those acting on paired donors, with O2 as oxidant and incorporation or reduction of oxygen. The oxygen incorporated need not be derived from O2 with NADH or NADPH as one donor, and incorporation of one atom o oxygen into the other donor. The systematic name of this enzyme class is (S)-limonene,NADPH:oxygen oxidoreductase (6-hydroxylating). Other names in common use include (-)-limonene 6-hydroxylase, (-)-limonene 6-monooxygenase, and (-)-limonene,NADPH:oxygen oxidoreductase (6-hydroxylating). This enzyme participates in monoterpenoid biosynthesis and limonene and pinene degradation. It employs one cofactor, heme.
- IUBMB entry for 184.108.40.206
- BRENDA references for 220.127.116.11 (Recommended.)
- PubMed references for 18.104.22.168
- PubMed Central references for 22.214.171.124
- Google Scholar references for 126.96.36.199
- Karp F, Mihaliak CA, Harris JL, Croteau R (1990). "Monoterpene biosynthesis: specificity of the hydroxylations of (-)-limonene by enzyme preparations from peppermint (Mentha piperita), spearmint (Mentha spicata), and perilla (Perilla frutescens) leaves". Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 276: 219–26. PMID 2297225.
- The CAS registry number for this enzyme class is 138066-93-0.